Last Mother’s Day, we had tea time at my mom’s. She wanted the food spread to be themed around Lemon.
So I bought a couple of danishes and sweets but I also made cookies and cake.
There’s this simple lemon cookie recipe that I’ve been wanting to try from My Baking Addiction . These biscuits melt in your mouth because of the butter and sugar. The sweetness balances the tartness of the lemons.
I had a box of Yellow Cake mix at home so decided to use it to make a cake. (Yes, I do buy pre-mixes. Guilty!) I use them when I don’t have time to bake a cake from scratch.
I’ve been seeing photos of sweet cakes flavored with herbs and I new I had to try it. Lemon and Thyme are great partners in savory dishes why not bake a cake with those ingredients.
I served the cake with whipped cream and it is also excellent with sweet neutral yogurt. Earl Grey or English Breakfast tea compliments any lemon flavored dessert.
Recipe card below. Let me know how it went!
-’til next time!
- Lemon Cake
- 1 pack Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 pack Ready-made Vanilla Cream Pudding
- 1 Lemon, zest
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Thyme Leaves
- Lemon Syrup
- 4 tbsp White Sugar
- 2 Lemons, juice
- 1 Lemon, zest
- 1/2 tsp Thyme Leaves
- Prepare your brownie pan. Butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Grate lemon zest and mix it with the thyme leaves. Pound them together. This brings out their flavors.
- Follow the instructions of your cake mix and add the vanilla pudding, lemon zest, lemon juice and thyme leaves.
- Bake at 350F degrees for 20mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
- While cake is baking make your syrup.
- In a sauce pan at medium heat, put all the ingredients. Once the mixture begins to simmer and the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat.
- Once the cake is done, poke small holes on the top. Pour your lemon syrup on the cake with a spoon.
- Best served warm with a dollop of whipped cream, yogurt or ice cream.
- Best to use fresh thyme.