Lemon Poppy Pound Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
Poppy Seed – Graham Filling
I sifted the cake flour and the baking powder to make sure it was airy and no grainy pieces.
The look of the cake after I took it out of the oven. Slightly burnt in one side so make sure you turn your cake mid way to have an even coloring.
Brown Butter Glaze:
Different stages of Brown Butter
Don’t over cook your butter because instead of having something with a nutty flavor you’ll end up with a charcoal flavor.
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups natural yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cup Cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice
- ¼ C White Sugar
- 1/3 C Milk
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- ½ C poppy seeds
- ¼ C graham crumbs
- 1 tbsp poppy seed
- ¼ C unsalted butter
- ¾ c powder sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 9-inch bundt pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, stir sugar, milk and butter. Keep stirring and bring the mixture to a boil or until the sugar has melted. Take off the flame and mix in the poppy seeds and graham crumbs until well combined. Set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream Butter, sugar and lemon zest for at least 4 minutes. Add in Eggs one at a time and scrape the pan between additions.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions and mix until combined and then pour in the yogurt.
- Place 2 cups of cake batter onto prepared bundt pan. Spread poppyseed-graham mix, it doesn’t have to be even. Then pour the rest of the cake batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean of cake batter.
- Let cake cool and then add the glaze.
- In a pan, melt butter until it changes color from yellow to amber and it releases a nutty smell (this is where the name beurre noisette comes from, which means hazelnut butter in French). This takes 5-8 minutes. Strain the melted butter and throw out the burnt pieces. Set aside and let it cool.
- In a medium size bowl, mix powdered sugar, zest, milk, lemon juice and melted butter. Mix until the glaze has a smooth and glossy finish.
- Pour over the cake and then sprinkle the poppy seed before the glaze sets.
- Cake can be kept at room temperature for 3 days and the refrigerator up to a week in a re-sealable container.