Brandade de Morue
On weekends, Julien and I love to stay at home and just cook. We usually look at what we have in our pantry and think what we can come up with. We had some cod fish in the freezer and thought about making this dish.
I remembered the first time I tried this dish, I think it was around 7 or 8 at the beach in on our first trip to France. I just feel in love with it and couldn’t stop eating it during our vacation. I would look for it every time we went back.
It’s actually a very simple dish to make. It’s traditionally made with only potatoes but our version has carrots. You can also add zucchini to the mix.
Hope you enjoy it! Recipe card is below!
-’til next time!
You can cut your veggies in small pieces so it cooks faster.
I like to use scissors to mince my herbs.
Love the colors of the ingredients that go into this dish.
We used Tempura Crumbs instead of the traditional bread crumbs.
- 300 g Potatoes
- 200 g Carrots
- 600 g Cod Fish
- 3 pcs Garlic Cloves
- 100 ml Cream
- 112 g Butter
- 1 pc Parsley Bouquet
- 2 tbsps Bread Crumbs
- Sprinkle of a mix of Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- If you use Salted Cod Fish, soak in cold water. You’ll need to change the water regularly to wash out the salt.
- Cut the potatoes and the carrots into cubes. Place them in boiling water lightly salted and cook them for 20 minutes.
- Poach the Cod Fish for 6-8 mins in a pan of boiling water.
- Shred the Cod Fish into small pieces.
- Mince the Parsley and the Garlic Cloves
- Mash the Potatoes and Carrots, add the Cream and Butter. Mix in the Parsley, Garlic and Cod Fish.
- Place the mixture into your baking pan. Sprinkle the Bread Crumbs.
- Bake for 10-15 mins at 350F or until crumbs get golden.
- Serve with a nice green salad on the side.
- For the bread crumbs you can add almonds or hazelnut for more flavors.