“It’s getting hot in here…” Sorry, I can’t help it but this song plays in my head when I think about the weather right now. Summer is definitely making its’ presence known here in the Philippines. It’s very hard to bake in my kitchen these days because it’s just too hot.
Here is a recipe that satisfies my sweets craving and keeps my cool during the day. It’s also a great alternative to ice cream and incorporates fruits into my daily diet.
Gazpacho is a cold tomato based soup but this dessert doesn’t contain any of that. It refers to the red color and the texture of this dessert.
Enjoy! ’til next time
- 2 cups sliced strawberries (Fresh or Frozen)
- 3/4 cup orange juice (Fresh)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Any fruity sorbet: Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Mint, etc.
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 1. In a medium saucepan combine strawberries, orange juice, and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or just until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let stand about 5 minutes to slightly cool the mixture before placing it in the refrigerator.
- 2. Ladle the soup into 4 shallow dessert bowls. Top each with a scoop of sorbet. If desired, garnish with fresh mint.
- Other serving suggestions: Pour the “gazpacho” in a glass and add a some champagne before topping with the sorbet.